Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hot spiced cider

My favorite recipe for hot spiced apple cider is one of those throw-it-
together-as-you-go recipes, but I'll try to explain the process as
best I can. First, I take a large jug of apple juice (a gallon if we're
entertaining). Then I pour the juice into a large pot on the stove (or
into the slow cooker if I don't want to use a burner). Heat to a simmer.

Then add the following ingredients to the pot:

--about one cup of frozen orange juice concentrate (this ingredient
is a MUST)
--approximately two teaspoons (more or less) of EACH of the
following: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cloves (whole or ground)
--and sometimes I add about one cup (or less) of cranberry juice
cocktail

Let it all simmer for awhile (half an hour at least). The smell wafting
through the house while the cider is simmering is simply heaven.
Mmmmm ... Serve the hot spiced cider in mugs. For a nice touch,
add a whole cinnamon stick to each mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment